Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cookie reruns

We've now survived that most difficult part of the year, Girl Scout Cookie season. Fortunately, this year went off without a hitch, as Marie has gotten better at the art of sidewalk sales.

For those of you who weren't following along last year, I present this rerun from the 2009 Girl Scout cookie sales.



Yesterday was my daughter's turn to hawk $4 boxes of cookies in front of Local Grocery. So your hero accompanied her, as Marie assaulted innocent, but cookie-less, people on their way into the place.

Some nice guy came over and said he didn't want any cookies, but gave us $20 and told us to give a box to the next 5 senior citizens who came out of the store. It was a kind thing to do. So I called Marie over, and explained it to her.

A minute later an elderly lady came out, and Marie attacked. She handed the woman a box of Thin Mints, and loudly said "Here! You win these cookies free, because you're really old!"

I tried to pretend I didn't know her, and wasn't successful.

16 comments:

Gert said...

I love Marie!

Kimbra Kasch said...

With my luck - that might have been me she handed that box to

mcduckDVM said...

I'm delivering the last of my cookies tomorrow morning. Halleluiah! (Ours are only $3.50 BTW...).
My Mom, 82 year old Girl Scout that she is, will buy a box of cookies from the girls in front of Target, then put the box back on the table on the way out. The girls "get it". The Moms are typically confused!

Sign this, "Leader to 10 girls and mother to NONE"

Anonymous said...

Ah that child. Such a sweetie. Such are the moments of parenthood to relive yet again and again. Fortunately, you have a lot of hilarity to recall when there's short supply of hilarious gas.

Unknown said...

hahaha kids are great.

i just found your blog the other day and i'm already hooked. as a nurse, i relate to many of your "stories". can't wait to read more!

Lo said...

Dr. G....I like your daughter.....no nonsense there...you know where you stand with her. Honesty - 10...Tact - 0

TheLittleFlower said...

I just got my shipment of girl scout cookies yesterday. 2 girl scouts = lots of competition to sell to family. I drew the line this year and they sold as one unit. Saved a lot of headache and heartache. I can't wait to get the cookies out of my house!

sandy shoes said...

I hardly ever say this, because it's hardly ever true, but: LOL!

nRT said...

You have to love Marie

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, thanks for the laugh. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/funny-pictures-cat-has-box-of-cookies.jpg

Unknown said...

awww <3

Anonymous said...

Clearly your daughter and mine should meet. Or maybe that would be dangerous. My daughter, probably a little older than Marie, is hoping to sell 1500 boxes this year (last year she sold 1300, so it's not outside the realm of possibility), and every time I hear her tell someone "Yes, you could get just one box of Thin Mints, but you realize that for that same $20 bill you could have five boxes of cookies without the added burden of all that change!" I want to hide.

Weirdly, the sales pitch seems to work. This is why she's going to support me when I'm old. I hope.

purlewe said...

I have to write and tell you. This made my whole nite. Thank you so much. (former cookie hawker and lifetime GS member)

Kat's Kats said...

My daughter has been a Girl Scout since first grade (she's now a Junior in HS). Our cookies were $3.50 a box. We had a program called the Gift of Caring where people could donate boxes of cookies. This year our donated cookies went to the soldiers at Fort Campbell. My daughter has gotten very very good at convincing people who don't want cookies that they really really should donate cookies. ::weg::

She refuses to go door to door but her troop does four to five booth sales every year. Ah, high schoolers!

JerryG said...

OMG! That brought a outright laugh! Thank you Dr. Grumpy!

 
Locations of visitors to this page